To find articles in nursing databases explore different nursing databases. Select a database located on the right in this guide under "EBP Step Two". Another option is to start at the Library homepage. Under "Search Articles" select subject, "Health and Human Services" from the menu. Click on "Show Databases."
* To search in a database, scroll down and click on the title of the database. If you want to search across multiple health EBSCO databases, select CINAHL Complete. Click on "Choose Databases" above the CINAHL Plus search box and add other databases, such as Medline and Academic Search Complete.
* Enter your key words or consider using Subject Headings specific to the database.
* Choose items relevant from your search results.
* After finding relevant articles, click on full text links.
* Contact Kathryn.Rose@nau.edu if you would like more help.
How to Search in CINAHL
CINAHL Plus Tutorial - EBSCO 2 minute tutorial
Request Full Text Articles
If the articles you need do not have full text, you can request that the Library obtain electronic copies for you as a free service.
* Select your appropriate institution, NAU or CCC.
* Select "Article" under "Make Requests" and fill in article citation information.
Articles and Research:
- Academic Search Complete - Find articles with EBSCO tools on many academic topics, including nursing. Can limit by date and peer reviewed journals.
- CINAHL Complete | Find articles with EBSCO tools on many nursing and allied health topics. Can limit by date and peer reviewed journals. More Info
- Clinical Evidence (BMJ) Find clinical evidence.
- Cochrane Library (Formerly EBM Reviews) Find systematic reviews.
- JAMAevidence - Content for the evaluative process of helping clinicians identify the best available evidence.
- Medline (EBSCOhost) - Medline content with EBSCO tools to find information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and more.
- Medline PubMed - Public Medline website with links to electronical journals NAU subscribes for information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and more.
- MedlinePlus Health Information - Find background information on many health topics
- National Guideline Clearinghouse - A public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- OvidMD Plus - Search clinical evidence with results linked to UptoDate, Clinical Guidelines, Ovid MEDLINE and other sources.
- UpToDate - Evidence-based, physician-authored clinical decision support resource for point-of-care decisions.
The icon indicates that these resources are only available to NAU students, faculty, and affiliates.
APA Citing Resources
Academic Programs & Course Support
Contact Kathee Rose, Librarian, for the College of Health and Human Services
Find Systematic Reviews
- Cochrane Library - The Cochrane Library provides high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making, including access to the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Tip to limit to Systematic Reviews: Click on Advanced Search, key in key concepts, limit to Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Medline PubMed - Tip: Click on "Clinical Queries", key in search. If there are reviews, you will see them in the middle under "Reviews."